Geosynthetic clay coatings were first used in a solid waste collection center. This product consists of a mixture of bentonite clay between two geotextiles.
Geosynthetic clay coatings; They are also called “clay liners”, “bentonite liners”, “bentonite mats”, and “prefabricated bentonite clay liners”.
Geosynthetic clay coatings are used as a hydraulic barrier against water and other liquid materials. As a hydraulic barrier, geosynthetic clay coatings can be used instead of compressed clay layers.
The main advantages of geosynthetic clay coatings are; limited thickness, to reduce the different settlements under its ground or on the waste material, easy placement and low cost.
Usage areas of Geosynthetic Clay Coatings;
- In fillings, as the first coating layer under geomembranes,
- In fillings, as a secondary coating layer under geomembranes,
- In fillings, under geomembranes and above clay layers (in three-component layers)
- In vertical stud curtains, adjacent to geomembrane,
- As a layer of protection against geomembranes, rough aggregates,
- As a second coating layer in underground storage,
- In the formation of dam to surface waters,
- In the formation of dam to surface waters, as a composite coating under geomembranes,
- In water pools, as a composite coating under water in geomembranes.